Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Student motivation and fluency

How are students motivated to use reading fluency strategies? I find that using the ones they like increase their motivation to use these strategies. I found a stategy online called shared paired reading; the students like this strategy the best because they get to work with partners. The first partner reads aloud a passage as the second partner reads the same passage along silently and gives support as needed until the passage is read. Then they swith roles and the second partner reads aloud while the first partner reads silently and helping when needed. The shared paired reading fluency strategy has the benefit of the repeated reading strategy while working with partners. The students in my class enjoy using this startegy the best because they get to work with partners. I like to pair up a lower reader with a higher one because the higher reader can help the lower reader as needed. Students also like to read aloud to hear themselves and this gives them an opportunity to do it.

1 comment:

LothLorien Stewart said...

That sounds like a useful strategy. I can see using it in my classroom as well. I love how many good ideas I'm able to pick right off these blogs. Thanks for another great one.